Authorising Activities in Bristol South District.
Please note: As part of the Transformation Process that Scouting is currently undertaking there will be changes to the names of job/appointment roles, if in doubt please ask, we are learning as well.
POR [Rule 9.1 April 2023] states that “the District Commissioner [District Lead Volunteer] is responsible for approving all activities for Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the DC/DLV and each Group Scout Leadership or District Explorer Scout Lead/DESC”.
This documents the delegated responsibilities for authorising activities under POR in Bristol South District.
1. The Scout Group Lead Volunteers [GSLs] are responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Beaver, Cub and Scout sections in their Group (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). GSL/SGLV will need to see and consider every section’s
programme. If a group doesn’t have a GSL/SGLV, the DC/DLV will appoint someone to review the sectional programme.
2. The District Explorer Scout Lead/DESC is responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Explorer Scout Units in the District (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). The District Explorer Scout Commissioner/DESL will need to see and consider every Unit’s programme. If there is no District Explorer Scout Commissioner/DESL, the District Commissioner/DLV will appoint someone to review the sections programmes.
3. If, in any instance, a Group Scout Leader/SGLV or the District Explorer Scout Commissioner/DESL is unsure whether to authorise a particular activity, they must discuss it with the District Commissioner/DLV or Assistant District Commissioner – Activities/DAL.
4. Where an activity is covered within the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme a district activity notification must be submitted (at least full 7 days before the event).
5. If an activity is held outside of the district boundaries, then a district activity notification must be submitted (at least 7 days before the event). This includes activities that originate in the district and take you outside of the boundaries.
6. All Nights Away and Visits Abroad will be approved directly by the District Commissioner/DLV or Assistant District Commissioner – Activities/DAL.
7. The following activities must be notified to the District Commissioner/DLV and Assistant District Commissioner – Activities/DAL via a district activity notification. The approver will seek appropriate advice on suitability ahead of approving the activity to take place: shooting, air activities, motor sports. This must be at least 7 full days before.
8. For activities and events involving only adults (adult only nights away, and Adult Groups in Adventurous Activities) the District Commissioner/DLV must be notified of the activity taking place.
To submit a activity or nights away notification please visit – https://www.bristolsouthscouts.org.uk/members/nans-and-dans
Approval of activities will be discussed at each District Team meeting to ensure that everyone is comfortable with the process outlined above and applying consistency, also providing an opportunity for the system to be reviewed and amended as appropriate.
Further advise can be found here.
Content last updated June 2022
Titles of post holders updated April 2023 for clarity during ‘Transition” period of change.