Authorising Activities in Bristol South District.
POR (rule 9.1b) states that “the District Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for
Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. This will usually be by means of an
informal system agreed between the District Commissioner and each Group Scout Leader or
District Explorer Scout Commissioner”.
This documents the delegated responsibilities for authorising activities under POR Rule 9.1b in
Bristol South District.
1. Group Scout Leaders are responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Beaver,
Cub and Scout sections in their Group (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in
this document). Group Scouts Leaders will need to see and consider every section’s
programme. If a group doesn’t have a Group Scout Leader, the District Commissioner will
appoint someone to review the sectional programme.
2. The District Explorer Scout Commissioner is responsible for authorising all activities that take
place in Explorer Scout Units in the District (with the exception of those mentioned
elsewhere in this document). The District Explorer Scout Commissioner will need to see and
consider every Unit’s programme. If there is no District Explorer Scout Commissioner, the
District Commissioner will appoint someone to review the sections programmes.
3. If, in any instance, a Group Scout Leader or the District Explorer Scout Commissioner is
unsure whether to authorise a particular activity, they must discuss it with the District
Commissioner or Assistant District Commissioner – Activities.
4. Where an activity is covered within the Adventurous Activity Permit Scheme a district activity
notification must be submitted (at least full 7 days before the event).
5. If an activity is held outside of the district boundaries, then a district activity notification
must be submitted (at least 7 days before the event). This includes activities that originate in
the district and take you outside of the boundaries.
6. All Nights Away and Visits Abroad will be approved directly by the District Commissioner or
Assistant District Commissioner – Activities.
7. The following activities must be notified to the District Commissioner and Assistant District
Commissioner – Activities via a district activity notification. The approver will seek
appropriate advice on suitability ahead of approving the activity to take place: shooting, air
activities, motor sports. This must be at least 7 full days before.
8. For activities and events involving only adults (adult only nights away 9.57m iv, and Adult
Groups in Adventurous Activities 9.8) the District Commissioner must be notified of the
activity taking place.
To submit a activity or nights away notification please visit –
Approval of activities will be discussed at each District Team meeting to ensure that everyone is
comfortable with the process outlined above and applying consistency, also providing an
opportunity for the system to be reviewed and amended as appropriate.
Last updated June 2020