To all Scouting volunteers in Bristol South District
Welcome to my first Newsletter of 2023.
It’s great to see so many of our Groups getting off to a busy start.
This year we will be focussing on supporting our adult volunteers and, most importantly, helping you all to help each other. Now the pandemic is well and truly behind us, our member numbers have bounced back but we need to do more to attract adult volunteers to support you and others to provide fantastic adventure and activities for our young people.
So, in this year of transformation, we want to ensure we have a flow of new adult volunteers into our scout groups and a system in place to support them.
So our focus as a district is:-
- To support Groups, ensuring you have the right people in the right roles, and, most importantly, a GSL to attract, motivate and support your team of adult volunteers. We can provide the training.
- To train and support our Next Generation of GSLs and Commissioners through our NexGen training programme.
- To provide additional support for our younger adult volunteers (those under 24) so they are made to feel welcomed and supported by others elsewhere in the district
- To build our Explorer Leadership team so they can grow our explorers and young leaders– these are our adult volunteers of tomorrow. We want to give them the opportunities to grow as they learn. Many of us will recall our time in scouting at their age and recall the profound effect that our leaders and the wider scouting movement made on our lives.
- To support everyone through the Transformation programme – More information will follow but there are lots of great things coming to support us all to get more volunteers into scouting and to help them stay. From simplify how things work to providing new tools, there is lots to be excited about!
Check out some key events and news below from myself and the team!
County Transformation Day, Stoke Gifford for GSLs and Chairs
28th January 2023 – 9.30am to 4.30pm
All chairs and GSLs have been invited to this very important event where the transformation leads will be sharing the exciting changes that are coming to help get us ready. As part of the event, we will all be meeting together as a district so it is important your group is represented.
NexGen GSLs Taster Day Part 2, Bishport Ave (81st Bristol)
Saturday 4th February 2023 – 10.00am to 2.00pm
Following on from the very successful NextGen taster day, the County team led by Clive Sandrey, our acting County commissioner, are running this event for us, supported by the district team at 81st Bristol. We want our GSLs of tomorrow to feel supported and to know each other so they build their support network. Once again, I would encourage any adult volunteer who might be interested in taking a scout management role now or in the future to attend. This Group is our most important initiative for many years, all GSLs are welcome to attend to show support. Lunch will be provided by the SAS!
Bristol South Gang Show, Bedminster Down Secondary School
Wednesday 15th to Saturday 18th February 2023
Show starts 7:15pm (Wed/Thurs/Fri) and Saturday Matinee at 2pm & evening show at 6pm
I visited the cast in rehearsal last week and saw our talented young people and adult leaders performing some great musical numbers. There are so many young people this year you won’t believe your eyes! It’s going to be a great show. Bring your Group. Free adult tickets for Scout & Guide Groups.
The following Groups are all represented in the cast.*Blenheim* Windmill Hill* Supernova*5th Bristol, * 81st Bristol* 82nd Bristol* *107th Bristol* 127th Bristol* 145th Bristol* 229th Bristol* 255th Bristol* *128th Stockwood Brownies* 128th Stockwood Girl Guides*
Book now! – https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/bristol-south-district-gang-show
District Volunteers Celebration Evening
Monday 20th March 2023 – 7:30pm onwards
Join us to celebrate our amazing volunteers on Monday 20th March, 7:30 at the Bedminster Ex Services Mans club! The bar will be open with a few nibbles too! No booking required. Nominate volunteers now! Nominations close 6th March – https://forms.gle/mCXyuAviwZ6uxr7P6
Bristol South Network Kick Off Event
Thursday 30th March 2023 – Time TBC
Roger, our new Network Commissioner will send details soon…… So watch this space!
Cubs District Football Tournament, Knowle West
Saturday 15th April 2023 – Time TBC
Hot on the heels of the district Pinewood Derby is the cub football tournament. Organised by Ed from Knowle west Scout Group and Supported by Bristol City FC, more details will follow soon.
St George’s Day Parade, St Mary Redcliffe
Sunday 23rd April 2023 (Final time TBC however plan to meet around 1pm)
I am delighted to announce that, back by popular demand, we will be holding St Georges Day parade once again this year followed by a scout church service at St Mary Redcliffe, Church. Please get your flags and colour parties ready. This year the theme will be “International scouting”. Full details will follow.
Thanks to all our leaders who have ensured their Safety safeguarding and first aid training is up to date. For the few who have something still outstanding, please move quickly as the pressure is on! Online training can be found here –
1st Aid Training
New Dates Added – https://woodhousepark.org.uk/events/first-aid-training/
Please ensure that any young person (14-18) who attends group or section meetings is registered as a young leader or explorer scout and groups must pay their membership fee. If not, they are not insured. Please register them with Joe Derrick email@example.com unless they attend Supernova ESU or Spinnaker SESU
Yes, we could always do with more help, the more the merrier. We are recruiting for the following roles, if you or someone you know may be interested, please let me know! We will also soon be sharing a letter for your use to parents about our recruitment
- District Treasurer
- Social Media Manager – Managing the website and social media platforms
- Training support members – working with our adults to ensure their training is up to date and they are getting what they need.
- Support Team members – If you want to support other sections/groups we are building a team to do just that, you don’t need to take on a large role you can just support as and when you can. We’ll let this team of people know where needs support and if they are able to we’ll pop them in touch with that group/section
And finally, as ever, a really big THANK YOU for everything you do for our young people
District Commissioner- Bristol South District
Mobile 07768 952212